I’m in Oklahoma this week visiting family before school starts back up again this week. But that doesn’t mean I forgot to put together a playlist for y’all!
1. The Black Keys, “Year in Review”: It’s been a long and frequently difficult year, I think we can all agree.
2. Juliana Finch, “This Year”: Who doesn’t love a Mountain Goats cover? I know I do.
3. Turnpike Troubadours, “Ringing in the Year”: How do Okies celebrate the New Year? Drink too much and set off explosives, the way we celebrate everything.
4. Steely Dan, “Reelin’ in the Years”: Like I wasn’t gonna include this song.
5. George Harrison, “All Those Years Ago”: The end of the year always makes me feel introspective and retrospective, and this particular song hits the nostalgia centers pretty hard.
6. Third Eye Blind, “Losing a Whole Year”: Did you expect a Third Eye Blind song on this list? You did not. Does it still apply eerily well? yea, yes it does.
7. Tom Waits, “New Year’s Eve”: It sounds exactly like you’d expect a Tom Waits song about New Year’s Eve would sound.
8. David Bowie, “Five Years”: Does it exactly fit the premise of the playlist? Not really. Is it a damn good song nonetheless? Yes, yes it is.
9. Foo Fighters, “Next Year”: “I’ll be coming home next year,” the chorus goes, and it’s true.
10. Andrew Bird, “Auld Lang Syne”: Just a beautiful rendition of the classic.